- Judge, ready?
- This concedes our third- - Tina: Step into the world of competitive debate.
- Debate is perception, especially public forum, where even though you have two confident debaters, you put them side by side and that's really where a power dynamic is formed in the minds of a judge.
- In a soccer game, if you score two goals, you won.
Whereas in debate, it's very, very subjective.
- Tina: But victory does not always go to the best debater.
- $700 million dollars is quite a bit of- - Look, can you just let us finish?
We've been going in circles.
- The judge told me like, "your voice is too feminine for debate".
At that point, I was like, how can I control my voice?
Like, I literally was born with it.
- Stand up tall, no slouching.
Glue your feet to the ground, pretend there is sticky glue.
Lower your voice at the end of your sentences.
Don't trail off.
- Don't interrupt boys.
They gave you all these tips and tricks, right?
Which is BS.
You know, the problem is not us.
The problem is the judges.
- The judges just gonna vote for who looks like a winner.
Looking like a winner oftentimes isn't very feminine - Tina: In this high school, the girls on debate team have a new strategy.
Will it work?
- It comes from us, right?
We coach each other.
- We all see ourselves as maybe the ones who can change things.
(orchestral music) - Girl Talk on Local, USA.
Watch on World Channel and in the PBS app.
(intense pop music)